Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Losing my English

     They said that when you are getting good at Nihongo, your English will suffer. Well, I am not yet good in Nihongo, as they would say "mada mada desu", but my English is already in danger. More often, I am finding myself groping for the right word and spelling. Just before this post, I had a problem with the word "teeter". I knew what it meant.But I knew that there are other words that sounded like it, and they just differ in the spelling. I wasn't sure which was right. I had to look it up on an online dictionary. I checked other versions of it and so here's what that checking-to-make-sure brought up (from www.thefreedictionary.com):


1. Titter - To laugh in a restrained, nervous way; giggle
2. Tether -  rope, chain, or similar restraint for holding an animal in place, allowing a short radius in which it can move about
3. Teether - An object or device, such as a teething ring, for a baby to bite on during teething
4. Tither - A tenth part of one's annual income contributed voluntarily or due as a tax, especially for the support of the clergy or church.

and finally...
5. Teeter - To walk or move unsteadily or unsurely

oh well, I might as well add this one (although I'm sure I wouldn't make a mistake on this one)
6. Theater - A building, room, or outdoor structure for the presentation of plays, films, or other dramatic performances.

No comments: