Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Japan, here I am!

     Coming to a totally foreign world was exciting, scary and sad. Exciting because I knew I'd be doing and seeing a lot of new things. Scary because, well, I wasn't so sure what to expect. Even if some people have told me this and that, still you just don't know what else can happen. And then of course there's the matter of a different language. When I came to Japan, I only knew the greetings like "Ohayou", "Konnichiwa", "Konbanwa". That was it. Although it was in my plan to experience Japan, I never got the time to study the language. Come to think of it, was it time or money? :-) So there. I was also sad because, I was leaving my family behind, and who knows when will I be able to go home? I rested on the thought that I will be able to let them come, I will for sure be going home once in a while, and then this move is for all of us.
     Off with the drama. So, it was Spring (April) when I came to Japan. Everything was so colorful and colder than Baguio City which was my residence for almost 10 years. When I got off the airplane, the nervousness started to settle in. Everybody was talking in an alien language. Good thing though that some of the signs in the airport had English translations, and we were greeted by airport staff who were smiling, kept talking and directing us with nods, bows and hand gestures. Even when I couldn't understand what they were saying, the gestures were enough. I was met by my tutor at the gate. He is Chinese and until now, he tries his best to talk to me in English. We had dinner with our sensei and two other students. And they too tried to make me feel welcomed. I found myself talking in English really slow, and at times in "barok".
The 
The Gifu U International House. My first room was on
the 4th floor, 3rd window from the left.
     The best part of the afternoon/night was finally getting to my room, which was more than I expected. Well, of course, compared to dormitories back in the Phils. it was way more than I thought it would be. I mean, it was furnished! My own bathroom; shelves for shoes, food, clothes and books; my own desk, chair plus a table lamp; an airconditioning unit that can be used for cold and hot weathers; and my own firm bed! Ate Grace, the only other Pinay in the university welcomed me in my room and and we chatted endlessly as if we were long time friends already. She stayed until I finished unpacking and was ready to sleep.
     The saddest part was, I missed home so much!!! I had my phone on roaming so I was able to text them that I arrived safely. Tired as I was from my trip, I wasn't able to get much sleep. Reasons, well, one  was because of the new environment, then it was because I have been used to sleeping in my hubby's arms, another was I terribly missed home and I can't help thinking about them, and then I think I cried now and then through the night.
 

No comments: